February 2015 - August 2018
Odd Fellows is a $29.8 M Design-Build project for the Virginia Department of Transportation located in the City of Lynchburg, Va. The heart of the project was a new interchange along the US Route 29/460 corridor at Odd Fellows Road. It provides access to a vibrant industrial development area while aiding in attracting future business for the city. The project also included a two span bridge over existing US Route 29/460, two on-ramps, two off-ramps, two traffic roundabouts, and the widening of an existing portion of Odd Fellows Road. Improvements to the existing roadway included full utility relocation (water, sewer, telecommunications, gas, and power), and the installation of curb and gutter, sidewalks, a 10′ wide shared use path, and a closed storm water drainage system that runs the entire length of the project.
Key Challenges & Project Details
- A roundabout replaced existing traffic signals to accommodate more traffic and reduce accidents was constructed in 90 days to meet a key project interim milestone.
- Approximately 430,000 CY of dirt had to be moved on the project. This dirt was sourced from an adjacent borrow pit, allowing the use of six 35-ton articulated trucks and two large excavators.
- An existing stream that runs parallel to US Route 29/460 had to be re-routed in three places.
- The stream relocation work included temporary stream diversions, pump-around situations, and installation of special design 72” pipe capable of carrying 47’ of fill material.
- The bridge over US Route 29/460 is a concrete beam, two span bridge spanning 274’ with a width of 79.5 feet. Both abutments are constructed utilizing an MSE wall design and the steel H-pile was driven post-wall installation through 24” diameter metal casing pipes.
- Wagman was forced to accelerate physical operations to mitigate significant preconstruction delays. Extra work was performed on several government owned properties that impacted associated utilities. Additionally, the project experienced historic levels of rain throughout the 2018 construction season.
- City of Lynchburg Water and Sewer Betterments added $1.056 million of work to the project.
Project Fun Facts
There were plans to extend Odd Fellows Road in the early 1990s, but funding was not available, putting the project on hold.
The bridge pier is located in the existing median and includes a driven pile foundation with a five column pier on top.
2019 – Engineering Excellence Merit Award – American Council of Engineering Companies of Virginia