Wagman Breaks Ground on Landmark Project for York Academy
September 13, 2017 by Amy Collins
September 13, 2017
(York, PA ) Wagman Construction, in conjunction with York Academy, held a groundbreaking ceremony on Friday, September 8, 2017, marking the start of construction on the new York Academy Upper School. Wagman is serving as York Academy’s construction manager for the project.
Located at 2 West Hamilton Avenue in York, Pa., the 65,000 square foot school will be in a gateway position at the city’s edge and be one of the first things people heading south will see as they enter the city on North George Street. It is slated to be open for the 2018-19 school year.
York Academy CEO Dennis Baughman and York Academy students joined members of the school’s board, local dignitaries, and project team members for the groundbreaking ceremony and reception celebrating the start of construction. A significant milestone for the York Academy, the project is part of school’s plan to offer grades 8 through 12 by 2022. The academy opened in 2011 with kindergarten through second grade and has added a grade each year.
The new facility, designed by York-based Warehaus, will offer structured, yet flexible spaces designed to promote the shift from teacher-centered instruction to pupil-centered learning. It will maximize shared spaces and provide a configurable learning environment to support various methods of curriculum delivery while meeting student needs and learning preferences.
Five academic houses that surround a common group learning area are at the core of the design, each offering three unique classroom settings for flexible and varied instruction. Included in the building will be art rooms, a makerspace, a blackbox theater, a dining area with outdoor patio, and a gymnasium.
Wagman is a multi-faceted construction firm with major operations in heavy civil, general construction, and geotechnical construction services. Founded in 1902, Wagman is a fourth generation, family-owned company with offices in Pennsylvania and Virginia and is headquartered in York, Pa. As a full service general contractor, Wagman Construction facilitates growth and development in senior living, healthcare, higher education, urban, institutional and industrial markets in central Pennsylvania, Virginia & Maryland. For more information about Wagman, please visit www.wagman.com
For media inquiries please contact Alyssa Girouard 717.767.8347
- Wagman Construction, Inc. Welcomes Shane Groff as BIM Engineer
- Wagman Heavy Civil, Inc. Receives HCCA Excellence in Infrastructure Award for Route 7 Virginia Project
- Wagman Construction, Inc. Receives Platinum STEP Award from ABC Keystone
- Wagman Heavy Civil, Inc. Awarded Contract for Battlefield Parkway Project
- Wagman Completes Transformation of New 1741 Club at PeoplesBank Park
- Wagman Heavy Civil, Inc. Welcomes Gerry Hargis as Senior Construction Manager
- Wagman Construction, Inc. Welcomes Joe Corson as Director of Business Development for Maryland
- Wagman Heavy Civil, Inc. Project Awarded for Engineering Excellence
- Wagman’s Berryville, VA Office Receives United Way Gold Award
- Wagman Construction, Inc. Presents First Subcontractor Award
- Wagman Welcomes Stephanie Kennedy, SPHR as Vice President of Human Resources
- Wagman Celebrates Construction Plans for Claymont Regional Transportation Center
- Wagman Heavy Civil, Inc. Recognized with Three Awards for MD 404 Project
- Wagman Heavy Civil, Inc. Awarded Contract for Claymont Regional Transportation Center